Thursday, April 1, 2010

The wind is blowing us home

It was blowing in Deming and we are glad to be off the road, it is gusting and blowing the dust around.  We stopped for the afternoon and night in Bernardo, NM.  I had read somewhere this is a donkey rescue farm.  It is billed as a CG for big rigs, close to the highway, and an RV stop for horses.  We were both exhausted from driving that we fell asleep, but we will go see the donkeys soon as David wakes up. 

Glad you got to see pictures of our new rig.  It is a joy to handle on the road, and we are getting more proficient at finding things and working things.  We certainly were in the right place for the right amount of time in Deming as we found a couple who moonlighted in fixing satellite and cable systems in RVs and other places too, I guess, but they were so good and got us all wired up, so now we can watch the home stations again, and CNN and any local stations we can find on the antenna.  We wont get cable, but don't really need it.  We also got the Bose system up and running, and got our subscription to XM-Sirus radio started so we got music and news as we travel along again.  XM doesn’t have quite the choices that our old Sirus did, but maybe we just haven’t explored it enough yet.  The radio has a remote control, so now I think the count is about 7. 

While we were in the Deming Escapee campground the census ladies came by.  I was glad to see them as I was afraid that we would be missed, and was concerned that full time travelers would be missed.  But they said since we were soon to be home, we could respond by mail, the form would be waiting for us in the mail.  I thanked them profusely for being out in the wind and tracking us down, and she said she was grateful for that because some of the people there weren’t very nice.    I thought maybe she just met a grumpy one.  But in a few minutes she came back by our camper, visibly shaken, and said they had been ordered out of the park and they would be leaving quickly.  We called the office to see why they had been ordered out, and the office they did not order them out, in fact were legally prohibited from doing so.  So someone forced their politics on the rest of us and frightened two nice women out of doing their job.  I am glad I didn’t know who did it, as it would have just caused more confrontation, but it is hard to believe that  blind shortsightedness and prejudice could show itself in such a callous manner.  I am trying very hard to be kind here.  I am trying very hard to avoid feeling that some one who evidently thinks they are protecting their own liberty and privacy denies the rest of us our rights and privileges.  Have our politics become so short on freedom and consideration????

 

Not sure I said what I wanted to say there.  But I think some part of our freedom is being lost here, by the impassioned exclusiveness of the attitude of being right instead of loving our neighbor and respectfully treating all with the humanity all deserve.

Anyhoooooooooooo!!  New Mexico I25 corridor is not the most inspiring of routes, but it does lead to home.  The birds are tormenting Punkin, and I will quit tormenting you.  Thanks for listening.   

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I get a sense of the feeling of the "connectedness" that you spoke of last evening. When Linda and I took the wonderful vacation to Europe a couple of years ago, I also posted to "Drop by Drop", the blog on our webpage, as a means of feeling connected with folks back home. Until I read your blog posts, I had forgotten that feeling.

It sounds like you and David really enjoy your 'rolling down the road'.