Monday, April 26, 2010

Life style choices

 

 

Even while at home, the travels cost money.  Our new rig looks beautiful, and sits ready to go, but as most of you know there are necessities.  The biggest necessity is a “toad”.  Now for you neophytes, a toad is the car you tow behind your motor coach.  Sometimes there is a bumper sticker which says “I only go where I’m towed” on it, but ours will probably stay clean of bumper stickers.  We did the deed today, buying a 2003 dark blue Jeep Liberty from an advertiser on Craig's list.  She lived close by, and the car is immaculate, only 42000 miles, new tires, and lots of new stuff that a smart young woman who cares about her stuff would do. 

We almost made a mistake.  We pursued a deal for a 2006 Liberty for $8000 from a Mexican woman across town, also from Craig's list.  She mentioned it needed a tune up, and we had to communicate through her 15 year old daughter.  They didn’t know what “clear title” meant (maybe I am giving them the benefit of the doubt here), and come to find out, the car was purchased for 4-500 from and insurance co as a totaled vehicle, her brother did the body work, and they hoped to make a tidy profit.  Fortunately, an English speaking family member who was a car dealer got involved, and she had to be honest with us to preserve her license.  So we found out the gory details just in time, and let that one go.  We are happy with the deal we made, and expect a lot of tow miles and country road miles out of it. 

So we are almost ready to hit the road.  We have to get the tow bar attached to the Jeep, get the front plastic protector piece for the coach replaced as it was cracked, and pack the fridge and go.  Oh yes, we expect company before we leave – my son and wife with one year old Gavin are coming for a visit.  And a few birthdays to celebrate before leaving for a Chapter 2 – Colorado chapter of Escapees rally, and a few days at Blue Mesa near Gunnison for our maiden voyage of our new rig. 

I hesitate to relay to all of you how beautiful this spring is in Colorado for fear you will all decide it is the only place to live in the world.  My tulips are abundant, don’t know for sure where they all came from, but I have never had such proliferation before.  The grass is green, the shrubs are leafing out, and I imagine the lilacs will begin about the time we leave town.  Of course the weeds have appreciated all the rain too, but they will begin to disappear tomorrow, hopefully.  I have already received one offer for a surgery date for the end of April, but unfortunately I have an infection on my leg, and had to turn down the offer.  Hopefully another cancellation date will pop up and I will get in before August.  I guess it is hopefully.  Once again I go kicking and screaming to the operating room, but I realize after one year, my right total hip is the better hip, and in one year the left will be as good or better, and hopefully I won’t waddle but be able to walk a straight line. 

No comments: